With elections With the states of West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Pondicherry, and Assam coming up, you need to check your name in the voter list. Having a voter ID card is not enough to vote. The voter list should also include his / her name. You can search your name online in the voter list and resolve differences (if any) to exercise your right to vote in elections. Additionally, you can download the voter list on your device. What if you are not sure? Follow the steps below. If you are downloading a voter list, make sure your device has a browser and a PDF reader. Now, let’s see how you can check your name in the voter list online and how to download the voter list for offline viewing.
How to check name in voter list online
You can check your name in the voter list online through the Election Commission of India (ECI) website or NVSP (National Voter Service Portal). The portal has details of registered voters across India. To make your shortlist, keep your voter ID details easy. Now,
- Burn your browser and visit https://eci.gov.in/ – ECI’s official web portal
- Scroll down and look for ‘Search Name in Voter List’ option under ‘Current Issue’ section
- Click on the link
- You will be redirected to a new page that will allow you to search for your name in the voter list
- You can ‘search by details’ by entering your name, father’s / husband’s name, age / DoB and state. Or, you can ‘search by EPIC number’. This is the number specified on your voter ID card.
- After that, enter the captcha code and click Search
- Details appear at the bottom of the page under the ‘Number of Record (s)’ section
- Select ‘View details’ to confirm your name in the voter list
If there are any differences, you can fix them from the page. ‘Apply to transfer to a different Assembly constituency’, ‘Apply to transfer to a different Assembly constituency (for foreign voters only)’, ‘Object to include this entry or apply for removal from the voter list’, ‘Apply for corrections in the Electoral Roll Entry’ and ‘Apply for transfer in Assembly constituency’.
How to download voter list
The steps to download the voter list are as follows:
- Go to the ECI website and select your state from the ’36 Statistics / Link to the Official Sites of UT’s Chief Electoral Officers’. Alternatively, go to the NVSP’s website and download the ‘Electoral Roll PDF’, and then the State. We have chosen ‘NCT of NC Delhi’
- If you do this in Chrome, the browser may show that the website is not secure – something that the government should address, in the same context
- You can still proceed to download the voter list by going to ‘Advance’ and selecting ‘Continue to ceodelhi.nic.in (insecure)’.
- From the quick links in the left side panel, select ‘Electoral Roll’
- A new page opens -> Select Language -> Main Roll -> Assembly Constituency -> Region
- Verify yourself by entering the captcha code
- The voter list opens / downloads on your device
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I register in the voter list
- To register on the voter list, go to the ECI Voter Portal – https://voterportal.eci.gov.in/
- If you do not have one, create an account
- Sign in using your mobile number / email / voter ID number, enter the password and do the math.
- Click on Login to register yourself in the Voter List
This portal is also useful for checking registration, updating details, finding polling station, downloading e-voter ID card and getting to know yourself. Booth Level Officer (BLO).
What if the name is not on the voter list?
You can contact your District Electoral Officer or BLO or log on to the above portal and increase the request.
How to know your BLO, Assembly / Party / Constituency details and more
- Visit to find out your BLO, Assembly / Party / Pro details and Political Party Representative https://www.nvsp.in/
- Enter your EPIC number, meaning your photo is printed on the voter ID card above. If you do not have a voter ID card, search the voter list name with the steps above to find out your EPIC number
- Press the ‘Search’ button to see assembly / party / pro details and political party representative and BLO details.
How to remove a name from the voter list online
To remove a name from the voter list online, search for the name in the voter list using the steps above and click on Form 7. Alternatively, you can go to the ECI Voter Portal – https://voterportal.eci.gov.in/ -> Create an account -> and login with your details. After this, you can apply for removal from the voter list.
How to check name in voter list through ECI app
The Election Commission of India has its app for users to check voter ID card details. To do so, go to the Play Store / App Store and download the ‘Voter Helpline’ app. Just like the browser, tap ‘Choose your name on the electoral roll’ (users can search by ‘EPIC number’) and fill in the details quickly. Tap on ‘Search’ to see the details. In particular, the result in the application does not show your polling date.