Jio 5G services are now available in India. The telco has currently rolled out the service in some areas. This will be followed by a wider rollout in the coming months, but Jio 5G will not be available in ‘every town, talukadar and tehsil’ of the country until December 2023. However, Jio 5G is based on a standalone network and is rated to deliver speeds of up to 1Gbps. While you don’t need a new Jio SIM to use 5G, you will need to manually enable 5G on your compatible smartphones. That being said, in this guide, we will provide you with everything you need to activate Jio 5G on your smartphone. So without further ado, let’s begin.
What is Jio 5G?
Jio 5G is a standalone (SA) based fifth-generation cellular connectivity that offers impressive speeds and low latency. The network is said to be superior to a non-standalone (NSA) network, which relies on existing 4G infrastructure to deliver 5G services. SA 5G is built from the ground up and does not rely on existing cellular infrastructure. This gives Jio 5G an edge over its competitors in terms of speed, coverage and stability.
How to activate Jio 5G on your smartphone
To use Jio 5G, you need to enable 5G on your compatible smartphones. This can be done from phone settings. In case, you are not sure how to follow below step by step guide to activate Jio 5G on Android and iPhone.
How to Activate Jio 5G on iPhone
After Jio rolls out its 5G services in your region, you can activate 5G on Android phone using the following procedure.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your smartphone
- Next, find and select ‘Mobile Network’ or a similar setting
- Select the Jio SIM for which you want to enable 5G
- From here, select the ‘Preferred Network Type’ option
- Now select the option that says 5G
- After following these steps, you should get 5G symbol in the status bar indicating that 5G services are activated on your smartphone.
Also, ensure mobile data is enabled and Wi-Fi is turned off for the 5G icon to appear.
How to Activate Jio 5G on iPhone
iPhone users with iPhone 12 series and above can use 5G services by enabling it from cellular settings. Following is the step-by-step process to activate Jio 5G on iPhone.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone
- Next, go to the ‘Cellular’ menu in Settings
- From here select ‘Cellular Data Options’
- Now to enable 5G, tap on ‘Voice & Data’ option and select ‘5G Auto’ or ‘5G On’ option.
- Your iPhone will connect to a 5G network when available and you should see a 5G icon in the status bar indicating that 5G services are enabled
If you don’t see an option to enable 5G in Settings, it means support is not live yet. According to a report, Apple is yet to open 5G support on iPhones in India. In that case, a future iOS software update should be enabled on your iPhone the same way.
Jio 5G Speed and Availability
Jio 5G services are currently only available in beta. These cities are Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Varanasi. eIf you own a 5G-enabled smartphone and fall within the cities Jio has selected for the 5G rollout, you will need to enroll in the invitation-based trial program ‘Jio Welcome Offer’ To use 5G services.
Those who receive the invitation can use it Unlimited Jio 5G data at speeds of up to 1Gbps+. Additionally, invited ‘Jio Welcome Offer’ customers will be automatically upgraded to Jio True 5G service without any requirement Change their existing Jio SIM Or a 5G handset.
Which cities have Jio 5G services?
As part of the beta launch, Jio has rolled out 5G services in 4 cities in India namely Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Varanasi. However, since it is an invite-based trial rollout, only a handful of users can get access to Jio 5G for now. Over time, Jio plans to add more cities to the program as infrastructure develops.
How to check if your smartphone is Jio 5G ready?
To use 5G, you need to make sure that your current smartphone supports 5G.
- To do so, look at your smartphone’s retail box or packaging and check for any ‘5G’ text on the front or back label along with the model name. If there is no such text, your smartphone is not compatible with 5G. However, you can always Google it to be doubly sure.
- If your smartphone supports 5G, check if Jio’s 5G bands in your circle/city support the bands mentioned in the retail box.
Jio 5G Bands
During the 5G spectrum auction, Jio bagged the highest number of spectrum bands in India and was also the highest bidder among the other participants in the auction. Bands acquired by Reliance Jio are as follows.
- n28: 700MHz
- n5: 800MHz
- n3: 1800MHz
- n78: 3300MHz
- n258: 26GHz
With low-frequency bands like n28, this will enable Jio to penetrate and bring 5G services to even the most rural areas of the country. Although the internet speed is not as impressive as other bands, it at least gives people a 5G-like experience. Apart from that, Jio has also gone for the n78 band in almost all the major circles and this particular band is present in most of the 5G smartphones available in the market. Jio has joined hands with Nokia, Samsung, Cisco and Nokia to develop the infrastructure and sourcing of 5G gear.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do you need a new SIM to use Jio 5G services?
Since Jio’s 5G network is built on a stand-alone 5G architecture, it is expected that users will have to upgrade to a 5G SIM. But with the announcement of 5G rollout in select cities, Jio has confirmed that users can continue using existing 4G SIMs and whenever 5G comes live, they can activate it on their smartphones and experience it if an active recharge plan is offered for it.
2. When will Jio 5G be available for everyone?
Jio has said that it will provide 5G services to all by the end of December 2023. Jio 5G is expected to reach more metro cities in the next two weeks as the telco has already started the beta rollout in some cities.