A driving license aka DL is a legal permit for people to drive two-wheelers or four-wheelers on the roads. In India, as you know, permission is granted by the Regional Transport Authority (RTA) or the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of that particular state. The age for obtaining a driving license for any vehicle with gear is set at 18 years or older, while the license for a gearless vehicle such as a moped or Scooty (capable of up to 50cc) can be obtained from the age of 16. A temporary license or trainee license is issued first, followed by a permanent driving license and examination after 30 days. MoRTH recently Aadhaar based authentication has been issued for 18 DL services online, This includes learner’s license, license renewal and forged license. This eliminates the need for applicants to visit the local RTO. Read on to learn how to apply for a driving license online, download the soft copy, restore the DL, and more.
How to apply for a driver’s license online
You can apply for a learner’s driving license online using a central government portal called Parivahan.
How to apply for a learner’s driving license
- Burn your browser and visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Place our cursor next to the About Us section of ‘Online Services’
- Select ‘Driving License Related Service’ from the drop-down menu
- Select the status for which you want to apply for a driving license from the screen below
- A message will pop up, giving you brief information about the services you can get online without going to the RTO office
- Click on ‘Cross’ to close that message and look for ‘Apply for Learner License’
- Next, fill in the details, upload the required documents, pay the fee and take the test, (if required)
- After this, you will get a practitioner’s license
Facility Online facility is available in 31 states of the country including Delhi, UP, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Ladakh, Arunachal Pradesh (AP), Assam, Bihar, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, Maharashtra, and Madhya Pradesh (MP).
How to apply for a permanent driver’s license online
After 30 days of practitioner driving license, you can apply for a permanent license from the same transport portal.
- Visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ Again and select ‘Driving License Related Service’ from the ‘Online Services’ drop-down menu
- Enter the state and this time select ‘Apply for a driving license’
- Fill in your details, upload the required documents, make the payment and book the test slot
- If cleared, the permanent driving license will be sent to your address by registered post.
- Otherwise, you will need to fill out the form, make the payment and appear for the test again after seven days. This is the rule for most states
The application for a permanent driving license must be filed within 180 days from the date the trainee’s license is issued.
How to renew a driving license
The transport portal can be used for fake DL, change of address, international driving permit, mobile number update and checking application and payment status, as well as many other things including DL renewal.
- To renew your driving license online, go to ‘Driving License Related Service’ under Transportation Portal -> ‘Online Services’ -> and select State.
- Click ‘Apply for DL Renewal’
- Fill in your details, upload documents, photos and signatures, book a driving license test slot (if required)
- Proceed to pay the fee and print the receipt
- You will be given a renewed driving license
How To Check Driving License Status
- Go to Transport and click on ‘Application Status’ below ‘Online Services’ -> ‘Driving License Related Service’.
- Enter the application number and DoB
- Click on ‘Submit’ to find out the status of your driving license
How To Download Soft Copy Of Driving License
You can download a soft copy of your driving license on your mobile phone using the government mParivahan or DigiLocker app. For this, you need to have a registered mobile number.
- If you are using the Digilocker application, create an account or sign-in if you have already registered using the same mobile number in the driving license database.
- Go to ‘Browse’ which is the third option in the bottom menu and search for a driving license
- Select the state that issued you the driving license
- Enter the driving license number and click Get Document
- You will receive a soft copy of your driving license. This soft copy is identical to the original document as per IT Act
- Next, go to ‘Issued Document’, tap on the three-dot icon and select ‘Download’ to save as PDF, XML and JSON on your mobile phone.
You can also use the Digilocker and EmParivahan applications to digitally store Aadhaar, vehicle registration, PAN, education certificates and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Types of DL in India
There are basically two types of DL in India: learner and permanent, for all categories of vehicles. These categories:
|Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or less than 50 cc||
|Light motor vehicles (LMV) including gear motorcycles, motorcycles with a capacity of 50 cc or more, cars|
|Heavy commercial vehicles||
In addition, an applicant must communicate with traffic rules and regulations. He / she must have proof of valid age and address. If, however, you are over 50 years of age, you will need to produce a medical certificate.
Documents required for a driving license
- Permanent proof of address, which can be any of the following: Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID card, self-owned house contract, electricity bill
- If the current address is permanently different, a lease agreement or LPG bill is required
- Proof of age: Aadhaar and passport are required, but take your 10th class certificate (if available)
- If you are applying for a heavy commercial vehicle driving license, get an 8th grade certificate
Validity of driving license
A permanent driving license is common Valid for 20 years from the date of issue or until the holder reaches 50 years, whichever is earlier. The driving license for commercial vehicles must be renewed every three years.
You can get Aadhaar based DL services online
- Practitioner’s License
- Renewal of driving license No fitness test is required for any drive
- Fake driving license
- Change of address in driving license and registration certificate
- Issuance of International Driving Permit
- Class surrender from license to class
- Application for provisional registration of a motor vehicle
- Application for registration of motor vehicles with fully constructed body
- Application for issuance of duplicate certificate of registration
- Apply for NOC Grant for Registration Certificate
- Notice of transfer of motor vehicle ownership
- Application for transfer of motor vehicle ownership
- Information of change of address in the registration certificate
- Apply for registration for driver training from an accredited driver training center
- Diplomatic Officer Application for Registration of Motor Vehicles
- The diplomatic officer applied to assign the latest registration mark of the motor vehicle
- Approval of the lease-purchase agreement
- Termination of the lease-purchase agreement