While Android users have been enjoying 5G on their compatible devices for a while now, Apple has finally joined the party by bringing 5G support to the iPhone SE 2022, iPhone 12, iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 series. iPhone users living in a 5G-enabled city can finally avail Jio and Airtel 5G services by enrolling in the iOS 16 beta program and enabling the 5G network. If you’re wondering how to do it, don’t worry as in this article, we’ll guide you through a step-by-step process on how to enroll yourself in the beta program and use 5G on your iPhone.
How to Activate 5G on iPhones
For this, you need an iPhone 12 or later device. Apart from that, users need to be part of the iOS beta program at least for now to use Airtel 5G and Jio 5G services on their devices. Apple has now released iOS 16.2 which brings 5G to iPhones as part of their beta program. Below is an easy guide on how to enroll in the iOS 16.2 beta program, but before we get to that, you should know that this is a beta update and may contain bugs. We recommend not downloading the iOS 16.2 beta update on your primary iPhone.
By enrolling in the iOS 16 beta program
For now, to activate and use 5G on compatible iPhones, users need to enroll themselves in the iOS 16 beta program. Registered members can provide feedback directly to Apple regarding issues and problems they encounter with the software or in this case the 5G network. Here’s how you can enroll yourself in the iOS 16 beta program:
- The most important requirement for enrolling in the beta program is having a valid Apple ID, which can be created from Here If you don’t have one.
- Next, make sure you’re signed in with your Apple ID on your iPhone
- To sign up for the program, go to Apple’s Beta Software Program page Here
- Now select ‘Sign Up’ and enter your Apple ID on the next screen
- From here select the iPhone you want to receive the beta software
- After that, grab your iPhone and go beta.apple.com/profile
- Download and install the configuration profile
- To enable the profile, go to the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone and select ‘General’
- From here go to ‘VPN and Device Management’ and select the iOS 16 beta profile
- Finally, go to the ‘Software Update’ section to download the beta update
Steps to enable 5G on your iPhone
After your iPhone reboots with the freshly installed iOS 16 beta update, here’s how to enable 5G.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone
- From here go to the ‘Cellular’ settings menu
- Now select ‘Cellular Data Options’
- Under ‘Voice & Data’ settings, select ‘5G Auto’ or ‘5G On’ option
- After the iPhone catches the 5G signals you will see a ‘5G’ symbol in the status bar in the next few minutes
5G compatible iPhones
Here is the list of 5G compatible iPhones in India:
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone SE 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Why am I not getting a 5G signal?
If you are in a city where 5G is available but you are not getting 5G signals, your telecom operator like Jio, Airtel or Vi is unlikely to roll out 5G services in your area or region yet. Try moving to other areas where 5G is live.
How to check if 5G service is available in your region/area?
If you are an Airtel user, download the Airtel Thanks app. There is an app option ‘Check if your phone is 5G enabled’. Click on it to know the availability of Airtel 5G services in your area.
Otherwise, Airtel and Jio users can download the SpeedTest app via Ookla on their mobile phones. The app has a ‘map’ feature that tells you where 5G services are currently available.
Which cities have 5G services?
Airtel has launched its 5G Plus services in select cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Siliguri, Nagpur and Varanasi. On the other hand, Jio True 5G has started rolling out in Delhi, Varanasi, Nagpur, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai and Siliguri.
As for Vi, the telco is yet to roll out its 5G services in the country.